Blackstone Fortress: 1.2 Aims

Now that I've laid out what has inspired me to take on this project - it's time to figure out what I'm going to do. Fortunately the models side of the equation is relatively easy - they're a fixed variety and come in the boxes that I already have:

Heroes: (11)
Janus Draik, Rogue Trader
Taddeus the Purifier, Ministorum Priest
Espern Locarno, Imperial Navigator
Pious Vorne, Missionary Zealot
UR-025, Imperial Robot
Dahyak Grekh, Kroot Tracker
Amallyn Shadowguide, Asuryani Ranger
Ratling Twins, Rein and Raus
Obsidius Mallex, Chaos Lord

Specials: (6)
2 Chaos Space Marines
2 Rogue Psykers
2 Borewyrm Infestations

Troops: (30)
4 Chaos Beastmen
4 Ur-Ghuls
4 Negavolt Cultists
4 Spindle Drones
14 Traitor Guardsmen

A total of 47 models with a lot of those being fairly highly detailed 'hero' type models.

The much, much harder part of this project will be the deadline. I simply don't have a reliable group for playing this and given the style of game - you really do …

Blackstone Fortress 1.1 Inspiration

For those of you that don't know, I work with CK Studios and maintain their Alumni group. I love doing this and as part of the group - I put together a course for folks wishing to take on a new project that in the hopes that it will help people get fully painted armies done and on the table. My buddy Ulrich was the guinea pig for the project with his excellent blog which I've already mentioned here on the blog (you really should check it out!).

I wanted to go through the course myself - unfortunately I am pretty far into my Death Guard project for Armies on Parade this year and it looks a while before I will start my next real 'Army' project. In theory, however, the course should work for other projects and so I figured I would test this theory on Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress

I have always been a sucker for dungeon delving and my biggest regret in my hobby life is never picking up the original Warhammer Quest (closely followed by never getti…

Death Guard Marines - choosing an army scheme.

It's a new year, time for new beginnings and for me, that meant - deciding on a new armour colour scheme! Determining a new painting scheme is an interesting process. I really struggle to visualise how colours will look on a model (I've mentioned this before particularly - here). For the Death Guard army I've been building up as part of the Conquest Magazine subscription. The thing is - I never really understood why Death Guard changed uniform colour during their time lost in the warp. I can imagine the palette shifting, tainting somewhat but having a total uniform change in the warp just seems weird. So I'd decided to go for a more traditional, pre-heresy aesthetic.

I knew I wanted to introduce the bone colour in the zenithal as a three stage - black, bone, white. So that was simple... until I applied it and realized it was still too white. I glazed with FW Lemon Yellow which shifted the overall colour a little towards green (thanks to filtering effect from the Blue-…

Nighthaunts (Thorns of the Briar Queen)

It's been a while since I've put up a painting guide... or really much of any posts. I wanted to get this one thrown up quickly with some of the steps. Recently I've had a 'thing' that I've been focusing on with each of my projects. Some of you may recall this being 'airbrushing almost everything' with the Chosen Axes I posted a while back. For these folks - I wanted to mess around with the Hexwraith Flame technical paint from GW. It seemed like a good shortcut to a vibrant and ethereal green.

Bodies Airbrush White Primer
Careful airbrushing Hexwraith Flame leaving furthest areas white
Drybrush white to pick out high points
Paint Hexwraith Flame into creases, folds & joins
Fill eye sockets with Biel-Tan Green

Weapons Paint Black
Paint Chainmail
Mostly paint over with Typhus corrosion
Drybrush ScaleColor (SC) Mars Orange
Pick out chips with Mithril Silver

Other Bits: Candle -

Flame is White with blue glazed to the base. Candle is white with Sepia gla…

Check out the Jawcrakas

Hey Folks!
It's been a while, I promise I have a few posts in the works to throw on here in the coming weeks but in the meantime - I'd love for you to check out a friend's blog over at
Now I don't often pimp blogs this way with a full on dedicated post but Ulric and I have been working on designing a Learning Unit for a Facebook Group we are in to help guide folks through getting their armies painted up. I think this is a really important skill, those of you that have been following my blog for a while will have seen my own slap-dash approach to this problem as I powered through large volumes of minis last year.

Ulrich is way more organized (born product manager). He is also using the excellent Armies, Legions and Hordes book by Dave Taylor for his framework.
- Raggy, signing out

How to choose a colour scheme for Armies

This latest Livestream on my YouTube channel - I talk about how to design a colour scheme for your army, test it out and make sure it's going to be suitable for tabletop - both in speed and look.
- Raggy, signing out

I'm still here... mostly

Hey folks,
As you may have noticed. Posts have been a little few and far between of late. A few reasons for this, mostly a lack of time and an excess of work However I have still been painting away and thought I'd pop up a few of my more recent efforts:

- Raggy, signing out